Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a laminated card, by the Income Tax Department. PAN is a must for creating your paypal account. Anyone can apply for a PAN card, whether they are working or not. There is no restriction on age, region or nationality. You can submit an application for an underage minor and even on behalf of a newborn. Applications must be signed by a legal parent or guardian. A typical PAN number looks like AFZPK7190K.
Application for fresh allotment of PAN can be made through Internet. The charges for applying for PAN online is Rs. 105. Payment of application fee can be made through check, demand draft, credit/debit card or net-banking. Once the application and payment is accepted you will see a acknowledgement, you are required to send a proof of Identity & Address along with the acknowledgement to NSDL/UTITSL through courier/post. After they receive your documents, PAN card will be sent to your home.
Follow the steps below to apply for PAN card online:
- Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/
- Click “New PAN for Indian citizens” and select “Online Application for New PAN”.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page & select “Individual” as the category of applicant.
- Fill all the fields which are marked with an asterisk. (Detailed instructions).
- To fill area, range code, AO type and number click the Non-International Taxation AO details. Search your city by selecting the correct alphabet & click your city. Now comes the hard part. Read the description and try to find the correct circle for your region. If you’re unable to find it or if no description is available, you’ll have to take help from your friend/relative who lives in your area and has a pan card. Go to this link and submit your parents/friend’s PAN number. You’ll get his/hers AO details. Enter the same information in your form.