Application for fresh allotment of PAN can be made through Internet. The charges for applying for PAN online is Rs. 96. Payment of application fee can be made through check, demand draft, credit/debit card or net-banking. Once the application and payment is accepted you will see a acknowledgement, you are required to send a proof of Identity & Address along with the acknowledgement to NSDL/UTITSL through courier/post. After they receive your documents, PAN card will be sent to your home.
Follow the steps below to apply for PAN card online:
- Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/
- Click "New PAN for Indian citizens" and select "Online Application for New PAN".
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page & select "Individual" as the category of applicant.
- Fill all the fields which are marked with an asterisk. (Detailed instructions).
- To fill area, range code, AO type and number click the Non-International Taxation AO details. Search your city by selecting the correct alphabet & click your city. Now comes the hard part. Read the description and try to find the correct circle for your region. If you're unable to find it or if no description is available, you'll have to take help from your friend/relative who lives in your area and has a pan card. Go to this link and submit your parents/friend's PAN number. You'll get his/hers AO details. Enter the same information in your form.
Once the application is submitted, you will be shown an acknowledgement page, which will have an Acknowledgement Number along with a summary of your details. It will also list the mode of payment and the documents to be submitted as address and identity proof, as chosen by you. You need to take a print-out of this acknowledgement page and affix a recent Passport-size photograph and sign in the box below using a black pen only. Please retain a copy of the acknowledgement for your reference.
Finally, The acknowledgment duly signed, affixed with photograph along with Demand Draft, if any, and proof of identity & proof of address should be sent to the address given on the acknowledgement page. You may send the documents to NSDL via courier, speed post, etc. Note that the documents must reach them within 15 days from the online application. The PAN card will arrive at your house in about two weeks.
Once you submit the documents, you can track the status of your PAN online via this link.
If you're unable to apply for PAN using this method, you can try this website (eMudhra). But they charge Rs.200 (about Rs.100 more than doing it on the NSDL website). The only advantage is that, you don't have to fill the AO details.